Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mutton Bustin'

We had a darn good weekend in Tejas.

First off, my flight wasn't delayed by the storm in New Jersey, which was absurdly lucky. The flight to Houston before mine was cancelled and the flight after was delayed.

Secondly, I ran well in the last race of the San Angelo Road Lizards trail series. I finished 8th again, good enough for first in my age group for the series. It was probably the first time I've ever had a proper running "race" -- the guys that went into the last race in 5th and 6th in the series (I was 4th) were right with me for most of the way. I don't know how I placed in the overall, but I think I held onto fourth.

Thirdly, I went to my first rodeo, which was really cool. It was about what you expect: lots of livestock, lots of chaps and lots of guys flying into the air. Probably the best part was the mutton bustin' -- you take a bunch of little kids, get them all safety-geared up, plop them on a sheep and see how long they can hang on.

No comments: