Thursday, May 01, 2008

Theoreticizing

I have a theory. Granted, I'm likely not the first person to come up with this (and I'm sure I cobbled it together from various other sources).

The conventional wisdom in triathlon these days suggests a basic week of three workouts in each sport at a minimum. Also, granted, any of you who actually read this probably don't care. Taking all that into consideration, my theory is that for the average, time-constrained triathlete (that would be me), it's better to do more running. In a nutshell: rather than an even balance, run lots, bike long on weekends and swim a couple times a week.

That's my plan anyway and it seems to be working so far this year. I haven't even been in the pool in nine months. That will change in the coming weeks, but my point remains: if you don't have the time, you're better off running.

Since I know the very few of you who actually read this blog don't come here for my obscure thoughts about training, I'll share a quote from Bike Snob NYC that had me laughing out loud this morning:

There are certain corny, contradictory maxims designed to make you do the right thing that simply aren’t true. A good example is the one about how abstinence is the best form of birth control. That’s complete crap. One has nothing to do with the other. It’s like saying building a garden shed is the best way to avoid hang gliding mishaps.

No comments: