Tuesday, January 22, 2008

San Angelo Road Lizards Trail Series 10k

Hannah and I ran in the first race of the San Angelo trail series on Saturday. Neither of us realized how cold it was going to be in Texas this past weekend -- race morning was probably sub 30, although it got up to mid-40s during the race.

Luckily, I had a pair of tights and some old rowing base layers in a box that showed up on Friday. We also had other mildly important things show up on Friday -- my bike, for instance.

Both Hannah and I expected the "trail" run to be in name only -- without having discussed it, we both thought we'd be running on a flat, groomed path. The course was not groomed, and certainly was not very flat. There was lots of scrambling over and around rocks and hills and cacti. And for every uphill there was a steep, technical downhill.

Overall, we had a good time. I placed 8th (of 49), a second out of 7th, but more than three minutes out of first (and the front two got lost and had to make up the course), so I clearly had no shot of placing in the overall. That said, I'm currently first in my age group (M15-29) in the series, so we'll see how I do in the big picture. I beat a bunch of younger army guys, but I think they were carrying boulders on their backs the whole time.

No comments: